Thursday, December 31, 2015

Anime Overview: Gundam Build Fighters

My passion for anime has slightly faded in the last couple of years... It all started when I enrolled for what we call here a "technical course". It was a 2-year course that focused on specific technical skills rather than what the typical college courses offer. Afterwards, I started to work, and then I really got too focused on reality that I rarely do anything other than work. What does that have to do with this Anime Overview, you say? Well...

2 years ago, I started to get interested in watching anime again. I mean, not just rewatch some of the old ones that I know for the sake of nostalgia. I mean, watch some of the currently airing ones. I got hooked! I started watching anime again because of this! And it wasn't even a "proper" Gundam timeline. It was a spin-off of a spin-off (of a spin-off).

Today, we're going to take a look at "Gundam Build Fighters"!


Gundam Build Fighters and its logo (pictured above) are all trademarks and owned by Sunrise, Bandai, Sotsu Agency & other associated parties.
Yes, again, this is a spin-off of a spin-off (of a spin-off). I say this because most of the other Gundam shows are set in alternate timelines, as you may be aware. Thus, these anime shows are spin-offs of the original. Anyway, this is more of a fan service-kinda show.

In this Gundam anime, the story is set in the real world. Sorta. In this world, Gundam is VERY popular. Everybody and their parents and grandparents are into Gunpla. No joke.
 

But, in this world, there is another hobby aside from building Gunplas, and this is what they call "Gunpla Battle". It's sorta like in the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime, you see, where they have a field to play their card games on and monsters would be reanimated into holographic images. However, in Gunpla Battle, the Gunpla itself is used in battle and would take actual battle damage during the game.

Throughout the series, several characters challenge each other into Gunpla Battles using Gunplas they themselves built. Of course, the Gundam models used within the anime are based on Mobile Suits from older Gundam shows. Which means... NOSTALGIA OVERLOAD!!!

Of course, to add some spice into the anime, the characters didn't just use straight-built Gunplas. Most characters have custom-built ones, so that they cound inject their personality into their Gunplas. The show does encourage customizing your Gunplas, as it is stated that the better a Gunpla is built, the better it performs during a Gunpla Battle.

The story revolves around Sei Iori, who has a massive obsession with anything related to Gundams. He is also an excellent "Gundam Builder" (or just "Builder"), which is what the show calls someone who builds Gunplas. However, Sei sucks at Gunpla Battles, making him not fit to become a "Gundam Fighter", which is what the show calls someone who participates in Gunpla Battles.

Some of you might already be familiar with the concept. After all, this wasn't the first time that an anime like this was created. Perhaps I'll have an Anime Overview of that some other time. For now, if you haven't watched this anime yet, I don't want to spoil you. (Not that spoilers would ruin the show, that is.) Of course, for you to be able to fully enjoy this Anime, you should've watched most (if not all) of the older Gundam shows. Like I said, this is like a fan service-kinda show, and some of the scenes might not have that big of an impact if you aren't familiar with the references beforehand.

The animation, the soundtrack, the story... This anime just blew my mind! One of the best anime shows that I've watched so far! ...and, yeah, uhmmm, I don't really have anything else to say (all I got is praise for this series, haha). So, I'll see you on the next post!


No comments:

Post a Comment